Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oscaring Time Best Actress & Best Supporting Actor


Camille: We can watch The Iron Lady and The Help. I know you don't want to see them, but I just might put one or the other on while you're not looking and make you watch it!

Looks like Viola is going to take the Best Actress, if the SAG Awards are any predictor. And, well, there's not much else to talk about.

Gee, 2011 was a really bad year for actresses. All the really good movies were male dominated. Not that that's a bad thing. I can't even think of any actress who was forgotten or left behind by the Academy. Can you?

Dante: Here is the list of Best Actress and its kinda strange for me.


Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis, The Help
Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn


I have not seen any of these movies but that will not stop me from forming an opinion about any of their films. For some reason this was one of the weakest years for actresses. There was a lot of them supporting. Oh, how could I forget? Bérénice Bejo from The Artist was amazing but she isn't in this category.


Bérénice Bejo The Artist.


Camille: Bérénice is up for Supporting Actress, which makes sense to me. That's another category filled with filler. What about Supporting Actor?

I saw Warrior and Beginners. I think you already know which one I think should win! Christopher Plummer was actually pretty good in Beginners, but I don't think it was an Oscar-worthy role.

This site has all the 2011 movies listed by date of release. I just went through every day and I maybe saw 1% of the movies that came out last year! Wow. Not that I missed out on much.

One of the people I worked with told me they really likes Real Steel and in the same conversation another person said they didn't like Warrior. "It was eh." I was floored. That clip we watched while waiting in line at Time Warner was enough for me to decide. One of those robots should have taken out the kid at the beginning of the movie. Then maybe it wouldn't have been so cheesy.

Dante: The scary thing about this list is that I have seen more movies than I even thought I did! I forgot all about great movies like Win/Win, Trollhunter, and 50/50. I saw more films last year than any other year and its sad that a lot won't even be considered (Captain America, Unknown to name a couple).


Nick Nolte Warrior.


As for Best Supporting Actor, from what they have as choices I will definitely go with Nick Nolte in Warrior. I forgot that man can act his ass off. He damn near broke my heart watching that movie. That's right. I, Dante, was touched.


And anyone that enjoyed watching Real Steel is someone I doubt I could be friends with. That movie was past terrible. Hugh Jackman was doing it as something to fill the tie between Wolverine and Broadway plays. And if that kid had been crushed by that robot I would have cheered. God, I hated that kid.


Wow.


Camille: If you haven't already come to the conclusion yourself...I think we're done with this one and I don't really see much else to talk about regarding the Oscars.

Dante: I figured as much. The thing that stinks is that there was a lot of good movies that came out but for reasons we have stated or attempted to they just cant and will not get the recognition they deserve.


It doesn't help that the films I fucking loved got ignored for things that continue to get praise just because of the directors or who starred in them.

No comments: